Billerica, Massachusetts – October 4, 2023 – Nuvera Fuel Cells, LLC, a provider of fuel cell power solutions for on- and off-road mobility and other applications, joins the nation in celebrating the ninth annual National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day, which marks the growth of the industry by raising awareness of the benefits hydrogen energy and fuel cell technologies provide in reducing emissions while driving economic growth.
National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day is observed on October 8 (10.08), in recognition of the atomic weight of hydrogen ‒ 1.008. Today and every day, Nuvera recognizes its employees, suppliers and customers driving the hydrogen movement and helping pave the way toward a sustainable, carbon-neutral future.
There are myriad ways hydrogen can make the planet a cleaner, better place to live. Nuvera’s primary focus is powering widespread fuel cell vehicle adoption and remains committed to providing transportation solutions to help companies reach their zero-emission goals. Over the past year, Nuvera has:
- Powered a Hyster® top-pick container handler with two Nuvera E-45 Fuel Cell Engines at the Port of Los Angeles (POLA) in Long Beach, California. The zero-emissions container handler is in operation at Fenix Marine Services, a terminal operator owned by the CMA CGM Group.
- Expanded maritime industry engagement with Nexus Energy, a sustainable innovation company based in the Netherlands developing modular zero-emission solutions for maritime and on-shore applications. Nexus Energy is using 60 kW hydrogen fuel cell engines in the development of a modular powerpack for both stationary and heavy-duty applications.
- Signed a memorandum of understanding with Netherlands-based clean technology engineering company Urban Mobility Systems (UMS), which includes the initial sale of Nuvera® E-Series Fuel Cell Engines to UMS and an agreement to explore development, sales and support of standardized zero-emission fuel cell powertrains for commercial applications.
- Powered the hydrogen fuel cell reachstacker that Hyster has developed and recently shipped to the Port of Valencia in Spain. The reachstacker is part of the H2Ports project, which aims to introduce hydrogen-powered vehicles and equipment in port operations.
- Developed a demonstration wheel loader that is now operational in China, helping move construction site vehicles to zero emissions.
- Provided fuel cell engines to power fuel cell e-buses in the China and India markets, helping both countries embrace hydrogen solutions for cleaner transportation.
“Hydrogen is already playing a vital role in the transition to a zero-carbon future. Countries around the world are looking to hydrogen as the key to decarbonizing many sectors, including transportation. As a response to this movement, Nuvera is continuing to expand its presence across the globe,” said Lucien Robroek, CEO at Nuvera. “Nuvera’s successful applications over the past year prove our solutions can meet and exceed emissions regulations and mandates in the transportation industry, whether on roads, at worksites or at ports. We celebrate with our colleagues today as well as our peers who are helping make hydrogen the primary solution for a greener and cleaner future.”
Hydrogen energy and fuel cell technologies offer a clear pathway for America to reach its decarbonization goals while boosting economic growth, creating high-quality jobs, and spurring advanced American manufacturing and export opportunities.
Nuvera is sharing company achievements as well as key industry advancements in clean mobility across its social channels in honor of National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day. Follow Nuvera on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook to learn more.
For more information on National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day, please visit www.hydrogenandfuelcellday.org.
ABOUT NUVERA FUEL CELLS, LLC
Nuvera Fuel Cells, LLC is a manufacturer of heavy-duty, zero-emission engines for mobility applications. With teams located in the U.S., Europe, and Asia, Nuvera provides clean, safe, and efficient products designed to meet the rigorous needs of industrial vehicles and other transportation markets.
Nuvera is a subsidiary of Hyster-Yale Group, Inc., which designs, engineers, manufactures, sells, and services a comprehensive line of lift trucks and aftermarket parts marketed globally primarily under the Hyster® and Yale® brand names. Hyster-Yale Group is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hyster-Yale Materials Handling, Inc. (NYSE:HY). Hyster-Yale Materials Handling, Inc. and its subsidiaries, headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, employ approximately 8,300 people worldwide.